Sunday, May 15, 2011

Still Here!

I'm completely sorry that I ducked out on you guys for a whole week with no notice!  Unfortunately I can't promise that it won't happen again - we're in major crunch time with all things related to my sister's wedding and it has completely consumed my life.  And when things get busy, the blog is usually the first thing to go.  Personally I would rather just abandon cooking, but I don't think my toddler and husband would be very happy with that idea.  Three more weeks and I will have my life back!

_DSC1334

So anyways, not only is my sister getting married this summer, but my sister-in-law is tying the knot as well.  Her bridal shower was this past weekend, so I can finally reveal the quilt I've been working on for her.  I apologize for the haphazard photos.  I seriously ran outside and threw the quilt on the ground at around 7:30 at night so I could get a couple of shots before wrapping it for the shower in the morning.

_DSC1338

Basic specs: I used the Picnic and Fairgrounds line by Denyse Schmidt (the same collection that I used for Phoebe's dress), and the pattern is called Small Plates and is from Elizabeth Hartman's book "The Practical Guide to Patchwork".  FYI - This is the best darn book ever for someone who wants to learn how to quilt. 

_DSC1346

I used a couple leftover scraps on the back, and all of the white was from a large vintage sheet.

_DSC1347

After looking at these photos, I realized that I never ended up washing this quilt to get it to its nice, crinkly goodness stage.  For me, that's one of the most satisfying parts of quilting.  I wonder how batty I might seem if I ask for it back so I can give it a good round through the washer :)

10 comments:

  1. Ooo beautiful! I love it...I particularly loved the criss-cross blocks. Lucky girl! I hope the last 3 weeks go quickly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure your sister-in-law loved the quilt - so summery! I think the photos turned out great too. Have fun with the weddings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I've been pondering what to do with the new DS line and this might be it! Yours looks fantastic. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aawww its beautiful ha ha i am sure they wouldn't mind if you asked for it back ;-)) Lovely design and colors. Good luck for all the weddings my best friend is getting married in 2 weeks its her hen weekend away this weekend and tonight we are going to sort out the tables etc as we are decorating it all our selves with vintage bits and pieces so i am the same as you ;-) enjoy the next few weeks, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a beautiful quilt! I might have to get that book and start learning...

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely! you are a machine lately...it's got to be cra-yay-zay but i know you can do it!

    btw...do you prewash? i don't and i always feel guilty but groan at the thought of it...thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really depends.... For apparel - always, for quilts - never, then there's all those in between projects - curtains, purses, etc... - it usually depends on how pressed for time I am!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also Kate, I've been meaning to write a good long comment on your "why you blog" post but haven't had a free minute to think - I'll get around to it soon. Loved it, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was thinking the same thing about prewash in terms of apparel vs quilts and in between projects...now i feel much better about it, ha!

    and thank you! no worries about being too busy to comment and all though...i think we are both swamped right now working up to deadlines so i totally understand!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. super beautiful quilt! wish it was for me. :)

    ReplyDelete