Sunday, April 24, 2011

Naturally dyed Easter eggs

_DSC1021

This is the third year I've experimented with dying Easter eggs using natural ingredients.  You can see the results of my very first batch here.

_DSC0948

This year I made the dye baths from some ingredients I haven't tried in the past.  The top left corner is blueberries, bottom left is spinach, and the right is cranberries.  Please pardon the messy stove - I have better things to do with my time than clean :)

_DSC0955

After boiling down the ingredients, I let them cool, strained out the plant material, and added a couple tablespoons of vinegar.  Clockwise from top left: spinach, cranberries, blueberries, and some pomegranate blueberry juice I had on hand.

_DSC1014

I always use eggs that have been hollowed so I can give them as gifts and keep them from year to year.  I had planned on using these eggs for another project, which is why they have extra large holes - but I never got around to making anymore so I just went with it.

I wrapped the eggs in bits of lace trim and also plant material that I secured by wrapping the entire egg in nylon.

_DSC1029

Here are the results from left to right:  Spinach, cranberries, pomegranate blueberry juice, blueberries, turmeric, blueberries, cranberries.

_DSC1031

The blueberries definitely made the darkest and most vibrant dye, and the turmeric came out pretty nice as well.

_DSC1033

I was surprised at how light the spinach dye turned out, but I found that you need heck of a lot of spinach to get a good green color.


May you have a happy and blessed Easter!  Love from RJ, Emily & Phoebe

I let Phoebe, on the other hand, go crazy with a good old fashioned, tablet-style Easter egg kit.  Bright colors and instant results for her toddler attention span.

Happy Easter everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love that you used natural ingredients for your egss. I am amazed at how beautiful the ones with the lace came out...what a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and such rich colors. Like the way you used the lace too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet idea ;-) enjoy the rest of your Easter, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea - so interesting to see how the colors come out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely! My favorite natural dyes are coffee and beets... love the earthy colors.

    ReplyDelete