Sunday, February 13, 2011

DIY Crayon Valentines

_DSC0017

I bookmarked this tutorial over a year ago in anticipation for when Phoebe was old enough to start crafting and coloring.  Well that day has come, folks!  And there's still time for you to make some if you're scrambling around for Valentine's day tomorrow.

_DSC9965

First I removed the paper from the crayons.   I read a tip that if you soak them in warm water first, then the paper slips right off.  Worked like a charm.

_DSC9966

Then I chopped them into smaller pieces.  This is a great project for saving up all of those tiny pieces of broken crayons that accumulate over time.

_DSC9975

Then I put Phoebe to work putting the pieces into these heart molds that I found at Target.  She had a blast because she's at that stage where she loves putting things into containers....

_DSC9996

and dumping them out again.

_DSC9987

This kept us busy for a good 20 minutes.

_DSC0002

Then I popped these babies in a 275 degree oven, and basically just kept an eye on them.  A word of warning - make sure your molds are oven safe.  These weren't and were just starting to melt and tear as I took them out - but they got the job done.

_DSC0011

Once they were cooled, Phoebe did a test run and found that they worked wonderfully for her chubby little hands.

_DSC0018

And a great sugar-free alternative to your typical Valentine's day fare!


4 comments:

  1. Nice find at Target... although, not oven safe? really? ugh! Must be for ice cubes? well they should not make it look like silicone, because I would have done the same thing! Still very cute having heart shaped crayons for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear this post was secretly meant for me ;) I found the same post last year and vowed to make them for my daughter's daycare this year. I bought the exact same molds from Target too... well, mine were pink. Anyway... totally didn't know they weren't meant for the oven! Made one set, they held up fine, then the second set... I had smoke pouring out of our oven! Good thing they were almost done. And isn't the tip about the water genius? Glad to see your little one likes them as much as mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I'm going to have to make these, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used those same molds to make Valentines for my little girl's daycare class this year. Could you tell me where you got the pink splat mat? I Love It!!

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete