Wednesday, December 29, 2010

SMS's 2010 Reflections

On the cusp of a new year, it's customary to look back on the year leaving us;  the best of times, the worst of times, adventures, goals, and thoughts towards what comes next.  Sure I could answer these in context with my personal life, but who would want to read about that (besides maybe my mom :)?

One of my favorite blogs/fabric source/leader in the sewing revolution - Sew, Mama, Sew - asked its readers for input on the following questions regarding the sewing industry in 2010.  So here's what I think....

P1040309
The Needle Shop - Chicago, IL
Looking back on the sewing scene of 2010, what trends stand out in your mind?
Well, first of all I think that sewing itself has really taken off this year in that new sewers of a new generation seem to be popping up everywhere.  I won't get into how thrilling this is for me (you can read about it here, if you like), but I find it pretty darn exciting.  In the world of sewing, what stands out in my mind is how many collections are being released that include more than just quilting cottons.  Voile, laminates, knits, velveteen, double gauze - I'm totally loving it! 

What were some of your favorite things? (Trends, fabric collections, patterns, blogs? Whatever you really loved.)

I'm still completely smitten with Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane.  I just put in an order for some laminate from this collection for a new kitchen tablecloth.

I love blogs.  I'd get so much more done if I didn't read so darn many.  But the one I love the most is Posy Gets Cozy.  This is the first blog I ever started reading, and it's still my favorite.  Oh how I'd love to live in Alicia's world!

What was your very favorite fabric collection or print? (If not listed above.)
In addition to Nicey Jane, I love Heather Ross' Far Far Away II (of course), and can't wait to see what she's coming out with for the spring!  Better start saving my money - why must her lines always cost twice as much?

What was the best thing you made in 2010? (Be sure to share a photo!)
Hmmm.... I don't think there was one specific thing, but I'm super proud that I conquered my fear and tackled sewing garments!  I still haven't made anything for myself that I'd dare wear in public, but I think the clothes I made for Phoebe turned out pretty darn cute - but then again, she looks cute in anything

_DSC8374

What is one of the best things you saw that was made by someone else?
I'm pretty much insanely in love with this dress that the bride made herself.

What do you think 2011 has in store? (Again, trends, fabric, patterns, etc.)
I'm hoping that the trend continues towards printing on fabric other than quilting cotton.  I'm really wishing for a great new collection on double cotton gauze.  I made a quilt entirely out of Far Far Away and it's seriously the coziest quilt ever.

Anything you’re ready for the sewing world to get over?
I'm sick and tired of seeing those kids clothes that have a ton of huge oversized ruffles.  Don't get me wrong, I love ruffles - I even got this for Christmas (yay!) - but those clothes that look like the child is being eaten alive by ruffles in bright, garish, contrasting prints - ugh!

What’s on your sewing agenda for 2011? What are you excited about? What would you like to learn more about?
Since we just moved into our first house, I have got major major home dec plans that I'm super excited about.  Curtains, pillows, tablecloths, bedding, lots of accessories for my daughter's playroom - and I've even got plans to cover a whole wall of my studio in starched fabric!

Happy 2011 everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the Nicey Jane love lives in my sewing room as well! I've got a box full of it! And here is the sad part, I haven't been able to bear to cut into it! I keep changing my mind about what kind of quilt I want to make with it, and have gotten obsessed with finding a pattern "WORTHY' of my precious Nicey Jane stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you nailed the ruffle thing for me too. Those crazy clothes with the bell bottoms at the bottom and ten different large-scale floral prints going on? oof. But I love ruffles too, just not so MUCH at one time!!!

    ReplyDelete